Saturday, March 10, 2007

Hi everyone,

we're now in Melaka, having had a very smooth bus journey from KL yesterday, leaving again Monday morning by train to Singapore.

We're staying at a backpackers hostel that has a roof top garden, japanese style communal lounge and even a self-service kitchen that operates on an honesty box system for drinks etc, all for 3.50 quid each a night. There doesn't seem to be a huge amount to do here in Melaka, but maybe it's just a good time to rest/read/chat/eat in between big cities...... it is the weekend, after all ;-) !!

It's amazing how tiring travelling can be, as well as taking in all the different sights/sound/smells etc, mentally converting money all the time, trying to understand and be understood etc..... Can't imaging how tired we'd be if we had to keep speaking in a second language all the time too (we can just be really lazy and speak English 99% of the time).

I had a lovely foot massage last night (my left foot was hurting again so I decided it needed some pampering). I had a herbal foot bath followed by a 30 min foot massage, which was lovely, seated in a spacious armchair with soothing music, a tinkling fountain, subdued lighting etc etc whilst my jasmine tea was continually topped up....... it was a really posh salon and was therefore really expensive by eastern standars - 3 English pounds and 50 hard-earned pence, don't you know!! What a rip-off, NOT!

Anyway, I'm rambling, so will head off now and probably make a cup of coffee and read my book (hard life), unless we decide to go off and do something touristy, but having gone to the fortressed area and museums yesterday there's not a lot else to do....

Do keep adding your comments - don't worry if you're not sure about it - just do it anyway and I can always delete them if you later decide you don't want it to be public for some reason!

Will probably next blog from Singapore, but you never know, something exciting might happen in the meantime...........

Until then. Lots of love from Linda xxx (& Pen too, of course)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are both so good at filling in your blog which is fab for us as we can live vicariously through you! I'm with you in the foot massage story - what bliss and sounds like it's really well deserved. I'm still praying for your leg/foot and maybe rest is what you need, so it's good that htere is little else to do. Have just finished my sermon and Sid is snoring at my feet - so a picture of domestic bliss here. Have been on a course today given by the parish funding unit (yawn), but that's one less that I have to do -nearly at the end now, hoorah! Am off for a bath and then some ironing beckons,
Lots and lots of love

Kim xxxx

Anonymous said...

I generally don't worry about my comments.

*snigger*

I agree that travelling is hard work - I seem to remember feeling that I needed a holiday when getting home from some of our travelling!