Saturday, September 01, 2007

Agaandi (Hello) from Kisiizi

I have been in Kisiizi for 2 days now and am settling in.

I left home on Tuesday evening. The flight over from the UK was fine, I went via Dubai and then Addis Ababa, and so it was a long flight, taking 16 hours door to door. I met a lovely GP from Scotland, called Mary, who was going to work at another hospital. She was very helpful and gave me a lot of hints and tips, helping me to get my visa at Entebbe airport. I was met at the airport by the guesthouse I was staying at and felt well looked after. Travelling to deepest darkest Africa (although it is not deep or dark at all!) alone was a very daunting prospect, I was very apprehensive about coming but it has been fine. Ugandan people are very friendly, helpful and warm.

The next day, by this time it was Thursday, I travelled to the hospital. I was collected from the guesthouse in Kampala by Yassin who drove me down to Kisiizi (a 6 hour journey). We crossed the equator quite soon into our journey and I was back in the southern hemisphere again!! Uganda is a beautiful country and called the ‘Pearl of Africa’. It is very green, hilly in places (particularly in the west) and a nice climate.

Kisiizi is such a pretty place. Set in the hills, about 600m above sea level. It is about 30km from the Congo boarder. All around it is green and lush, there are lots of banana plants and trees. There is a big waterfall here also, which is used to power the hospital and surrounding hospital houses. The climate is pleasant, sunny and very cool at night. Today it is raining and dreary, like England can be!!

As soon as I arrived at Kisiizi I was given a warm welcome, consisting of a cup of tea and a slice of cake from Jane and Adrian ( missionary couple who have worked here for 7 years). I was then met by Hazel who gave me a guided tour of the hospital. She is from the UK and is 80 years young. She is a nurse tutor here and has been for 9 years. Since retirering has lived and served as a missionary in the Congo, Zambia, Papua New Guinea & more. She is an amazing lady.

I am staying in a 2 bed roomed house, sharing it with Heidi, a cat. It is well equipped with everything I would have at home, including a hot shower. I have a house girl called Peace, she does my washing, ironing, cooking and cleaning. She is lovely, a fantastic cook and very helpful, showing me the ropes!! It s very odd having someone do these things for you and makes me feel quite uncomfortable.

These past two days have consisted of settling in and meeting lots of people. Greetings are very important here and you say hello to everyone and ask how they are, it takes along time!! Often when I say Hello to someone, they giggle!! Ummm, that’s quite normal!! I have also been to chapel. We have to go every morning at 8am, it is part of the life of the hospital. The African singing and clapping is so vibrant, not to be missed and will help me to wake up in the morning!

I will say more about the actual hospital once I start work on Monday. I am going to spend time working on all the wards, including maternity and the neonatal unit (which is a corridor with 2 incubators in it) & going out with the community teams. As well as doing some teaching with the student nurses each week.

Thank you for reading, sorry this is so long, there is so much to say and I could go on for ages!! It is so good to be here and such a great way to end what has been an amazing time travelling this year.

I will write again soon with another truckload of info!!!!

Love Penny xx

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Penny, it's great to hear God has answered our prayers so far 'cos i know you were nervous about getting there. You'll do great honey! Look forward to hearing more, God bless, love ali (",)

Anonymous said...

Very exciting! Have a great time, I read with interest. (I could do with someone who cleans, cooks, irons and washes our clothes!! Does she want to come back to England with you?!!) Love Nicky

Anonymous said...

Hey Penny, great to read your first blog from Uganda and I hope you have a great first day in the hospital and have a enriching and wonderful time in your weeks there, sounds like you've met some amazing people already. We're praying for you and send lots of love. Sam and peter go back to school and pre school tomorrow after a marathon 9 week holiday...it'll feel strange to just have Toby at home in the mornings. lots of love from us all. x

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear it has been a warm and welcoming experience. I hold you in my prayers.
Alison.

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny

Good to hear you had such a nice welcome to Uganda. Having recently come back from New York seeing Charis, I felt for you having such a long journey! Hope the whole experience is a really wonderful one for you - I'm sure you'll be a huge asset. God bless Howard

Anonymous said...

Hello Penny
Good to hear everything going well. Uganda sounds lovely. Hope you have a great time
Love Angela

Unknown said...

So glad to hear you safely there was fascinated by all you described please tell us more! Pip is v well and thoroughly enjoying his new found freedom which we do as often as poss. Charis has also learnt to pick him up,out in the back garden, so i have to keep an eye out because otherwise Pip spends the whole time under the hutch hiding from her!God bless lol Lxx